Migration 101 Episode 10
Episode 10: Is migration good, bad, or normal?
- Migration is normal, not a problem to be solved.
- It has always been part of human experience, a fundamental feature.
- Everyone's ancestors at some point moved from rural areas to cities (urbanization, industrialization, modernization).
- Without migration, there would be no cities, and no industrialization.
- Migration is driven by societal changes such as the structure of the labor market.
- People move to be with family, to find appropriate work for their skills, etc.
- We forget that migration is a fact of human existence and start believing that we can control it with changes in migration policy. We can't control it.
- Development/change = > migration